Pinterest is a dangerously wonderful thing. I am constantly pinning new recipe ideas to try, and my first Pinterest dinner did not disappoint. These were SO satisfying, filling, and flavorful. And cheap to make!
Lentil Soft Tacos (based on the recipe from Budget Bytes)
2 cups dry lentils (the recipe specified brown, I used whatever was in my cupboard and cooked according to package directions)
1 small sweet onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 packet reduced sodium taco seasoning (make sure it’s gluten-free) or the following homemade blend:
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp (15 cranks) fresh black pepper
- ½ tsp corn starch
16 small corn tortillas
1 recipe fresh pico de gallo (1 large ripe tomato, 1/3 small onion, 1-2 limes, 1/4 bunch cilantro, salt to taste. Chop all ingredients, combine, and serve)
sour cream, avocados, and cilantro to garnish
1. Spray large pan with cooking spray, brown tortillas two at a time on both sides. They should still be pliable.
2. At the same time, sort and rinse lentils, and boil 3 cups of water. Add lentils, return to boil, then reduce to low and cover. Let simmer for 20 minutes.
3. While lentils are simmering, prepare pico de gallo.
4. Dice onion and saute in olive oil in your big pan. Once tender, add the drained lentils, taco seasoning packet, and about 1/2 cup of water. Stir and cook until thickened, about 3-5 minutes.
5. Build your tacos and serve!
** The next day, I had a bit of the lentil mixture left over. I browned two corn tortillas, scrambled a couple of egg whites with a small amount of reduced fat cheddar cheese, and topped with lentils and the last bit of pico de gallo. AMAZING.