I love me some mac and cheese. I also love me some Martha Stewart. Any recipe of hers that I’ve tried has been yummy, and this one is no exception. A lower fat version of mac and cheese with a dose of veggies: yes please!
Butternut Squash Macaroni and Cheese – Adapted from Martha Stewart
1 small butternut squash, peeled and cubed (about 3 cups)
1 cup vegetarian broth
1 1/2 cups skim milk
3/4 tsp. coarse salt
freshly ground black pepper
1 lb gluten-free macaroni (I used a quinoa/corn blend)
4 oz. cheddar cheese (I used half full fat and low fat varieties)
4 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup part skim or fat free ricotta cheese (I used fat free)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine squash, stock, and milk in a saucepan, bring to boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium, simmer for 20 minutes or until squash is tender.
2. Remove from heat and smash contents of saucepan, add salt and pepper.
3. Cook gluten-free pasta until al-dente.
4. Drain and combine pasta with squash mixture and various cheeses in a baking dish. Top with additional cheddar cheese and Parmesan cheese.
5. Bake for 30-40 minutes until cheese on top is bubbly.
6. Serve immediately and enjoy!